Have you had time to catch your breath yet!? It feels like the news has been coming fast and furiously ever since Indiana hired Archie Miller as its new head basketball coach in March.
Now that a good amount of news has come out, let’s take a look at where things stand right now for the 2017-18 Indiana basketball season.
- OG Anunoby (11.1 PPG, 5.4 RPG, 1.3 BPG, 16 GMS): Anunoby declared for the NBA Draft on April 10 after missing most of his sophomore season after suffering a knee injury. Anunoby is projected to be a top 15 pick by most. DraftExpress.com currently projects Anunoby to the Denver Nuggets with the 13th overall pick.
- Thomas Bryant (12.6 PPG, 6.6 RPG, 1.5 BPG, 34 GMS): Bryant decided to sign with an agent and remain in the NBA Draft on April 29. Bryant’s decision was a little bit surprising given the strength of this year’s draft class, but DraftExpress currently projects him to go 33rd overall to the Orlando Magic, meaning he could work himself into the first round with good pre-draft workouts.
- James Blackmon Jr. (17.0 PPG, 4.8 RPG, 30 GMS): Blackmon Jr. told AlbersAngle.com on Sunday (May 7) that he will sign with an agent and remain in the NBA Draft. He was Indiana’s leading scorer last season, but is not projected to be drafted.
In total, Indiana is losing 40.7 PPG (50.8%) and 16.8 RPG (43.1%)
- Collin Hartman: Well technically he’s not coming because he was already here, but Hartman will return to the floor after missing all of last season due to injury. Hartman had the option of returning for one more year due to medical hardship, and he decided to use it, which is great news for Indiana and its fans. Hartman’s stats won’t blow you away, but he’s an ultimate glue guy on a great team.
- Justin Smith: Smith, initially a Tom Crean recruit, is Indiana’s top-rated signee in the 2017 class, checking in at 75th overall on the 247 Sports Composite. The 6-foot-7 Smith could be part of Miller’s rotation next season because of Anunoby’s departure.
- Clifton Moore: Moore, another Crean recruit that Miller re-recruited, ranks 118th nationally by the 247 Sports Composite. The 6-foot-10 Moore could see minutes off the bench behind sophomore De’Ron Davis.
- Al Durham Jr.: Durham, a 6-foot-4 guard out of Georgia, can play multiple positions. It may take a little more time for Durham to see playing time.
- Juwan Morgan: Averaged 7.7 points and 5.6 rebounds per game as a sophomore last season. Morgan figures to be a mainstay in the Hoosiers’ rotation next season.
- De’Ron Davis: Perhaps the most important and promising player on the current Indiana roster, Davis should see significantly more playing time as a sophomore with Bryant leaving for the NBA. He averaged 5.9 points and 3.1 rebounds in only 13.9 minutes per game last season.
- Devonte Green: Averaged 4.4 points in 15.2 minutes per game as a freshman, but improved as the season went along and showed flashes as a creator and a ball handler late in the year.
- Curtis Jones: Averaged 3.5 points in 11.2 minutes per game as a freshman. The Hoosiers will need him to make a big jump this offseason.
- Josh Newkirk: Averaged 9.0 points, 3.1 rebounds and 3.2 assists in 28.1 minutes per game in his first season with Indiana after transferring from Pittsburgh.
- Robert Johnson: Johnson threw his name in the NBA Draft but did not hire an agent, and as I reported last month, Johnson plans to return to Indiana for his senior season. Johnson averaged 12.8 points, 4.4 rebounds and 2.5 assists in 29.4 minutes per game as a junior last year.
- Freddie McSwain Jr.: Averaged 2.7 points and 2.5 rebounds in 8.1 minutes per game as a JUCO transfer last season.
- Tim Priller: Averaged 2.1 points in 3.0 minutes per game last season.
- Grant Gelon: Averaged 1.8 points in 3.2 minutes per game as a freshman last season.
- Zach McRoberts (Walk-On): I haven’t heard anything to suggest McRoberts isn’t returning to the Hoosiers. He averaged 0.8 points and 1.5 rebounds in 11.3 minutes per game last year.
2017-18 INDIANA HOOSIERS (As of Now)
- Robert Johnson (Senior, Pictured Right)
- Josh Newkirk (Senior)
- Devonte Green (Sophomore)
- Curtis Jones (Sophomore)
- Al Durham Jr. (Freshman)
- Grant Gelon (Sophomore)
- De’Ron Davis (Sophomore)
- Juwan Morgan (Junior, Pictured Right)
- Collin Hartman (Senior)
- Justin Smith (Freshman)
- Clifton Moore (Freshman)
- Freddie McSwain Jr. (Senior)
- Tim Priller (Senior)
- Zach McRoberts (Junior)